Monday 6 May 2013


Second Chances - T. A. Webb

M/M

Rating = Five + stars

WOW. This book just rocked my World. From the first page my heart was gripped, twisted, torn in two then it was caressed, appeased and filled with joy. It was like therapy. Words just cannot convey enough (well not as eloquently as Mr Webb can) of how beautiful this book really is.

It spans a decade in the life of Mark and covers the death of his mother, his love with his partner Brian and his extra special relationship with his best friend Antonio. That is a very high level description and does not give credence of it fully but it is the depth of feelings that are wonderfully written and take you on an eventful journey.

The book starts with the pain Mark goes through when his mother is dying and it is these scenes that made me a total wreck. It took me back to my own painful memory and I could feel everything that was being expressed. I was sat in that car with Mark saying the exact same things! Then the book moves on after her death and you think “Right no more tears, nothing can be worse than that episode, right?” Oh my god. Yes more was to come.

This book was much more than an m/m romance. Yes there were some hot scenes but to me this was more of a book about life, about living with pain, it was about lost and new loves. It was about acceptance and family. It was told from Mark’s POV and this was very articulate and took you through the book feeling as if you were him, from the depths of his despair to the highs of his finding joy. Oh and he had a cheeky side that had me cracking up and cackling like a hyena. He was so endearing and I wanted him to be real! The scenes with Brian were a total surprise as you were expecting to hate this guy who had cheated on Mark but I found myself wanting to hug him. And that was before the big twist was revealed. That just blew me away. More Kleenex please!

Now Antonio was something else and totally my kink with his tats and muscles. Yum. What I would have given to have a massage from him! I loved how he was so open with his feelings and was not some macho A-hole. If he needed to work out what was going on in his head – he went right on and acted on it. A joy to read. I could totally get how Mark and Antonio were with each other and how their relationship built. I loved how they were there for each other through the deaths, money troubles, nasty siblings/women and taking care of Antonio’s son, Jason.

I could go on and on in regards to every little aspect of the book but to do so would give the whole game away and I was glad nobody gave it away for me. I can only say if you don't read this book you will be missing out on a totally and utterly beautiful read. Yes it was emotional but it was one of the best books I have ever read. Tom Webb is a wonderful writer and is now firmly established on my “must read” list and this is not a very long list. So yes I thoroughly, resolutely and abso-frickin-lutely recommend this book. Oh and don't forget the tissues!



No comments:

Post a Comment